The complex abuts with areas of great ecological and aesthetical importance such as:
- The canyons of the River Nestos with rich natural beauty, the flora, the fauna, water sports and adventure
- The Delta of Nestos - a huge hydro biotope.
- The villages in the mountain area of Xanthi, with their archeological areas and their contemporary history.
- Lakes Vistonida and Mitrikou - Ismarida.
- The forest biotopes of Rodopi mountain range.
- The virgin forests of Simida, Fraktos, Drimos and Helatia.
- The artificial lake of Thisavros.
- The villages inhabited by Pomacs, which are rich in manmade and natural environment.
- Mountain "Tsal" peak - a challenge for climbers.
- The three monasteries of Xanthi (Archageliotissa, Kalamou, Sts. Taxiarhes).
- The picturesque chapel of St. Nicolas, landmark of Porto Lagos.